Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Please continue your phone call as you run me over...

Today marks the third time I personally have nearly been hit by women talking on their cell phones while driving. Everyday I take my 3  big, beautiful dogs on a four mile jaunt around the development we reside in. A "lady" driving while on the phone in her blue BMW 3 Series crept into the crosswalk I and my dogs were occupying, brushing the head of my chow chow Blue. She only stopped when I yelled "Get Off Your F---ing Phone." At which point I assumed an apology for her actions was in order in the form of:  "Gee I'm sorry I nearly hit you and your dogs." No, her reaction was to completely ignore the fact we were there; we must have appeared as a mirage, a six foot four inch 210 pound mirage with three  80 pound plus dogs, or something of that nature, because she just kept on talking without a care in the world.

America this is the world we live in today; people so wrapped up in their own existence, they think they're only accountable when they actually hurt, kill, or maim someone. Then just let the insurance companies, lawyers and other tragedy feeders take the lion share of any settlement while the injured party receives a prepaid phone card for their pain and suffering. 

Another example, our daughter was hit by a woman driving a pick up truck on Friday January 13th while riding her bicycle home from the Post Office. This "Lady" was so distracted with her call, she did not stop until a passerby(thankfully) pounded his fists on her truck door, getting her attention as our baby girl(she's 23, but she's still our baby) lay tangled in the wreckage of her bike under the front end of this hulking F-150. Our daughters screaming bloody murder in hopes of saving her own life, apparently wasn't enough to trigger a conscious reaction. At this point "Lady" jumps out of her truck clutching her cell phone in a GI Joe Kung Fu grip, yelling "What Happened?" What happened is that "Lady", like so many of you, really believes her multi tasking capabilities are on par with a fighter pilot. Believe me, precious few of you have that capacity, please quit deluding yourselves.

After my wife and I arrived,"Lady" went on to tell us how she was having trouble learning how to text with her daughter. Really? Having trouble texting while driving? My heart goes out to you poor dear! Hear me now believe me later: 
Girl on Bicycle vs. F150 Driven by Woman Talking/Texting on Phone, not a fair fight.

1 comment:

  1. OMG! You really hit on a sore spot with me!

    I have so many personal stories of women talking/texting on cell phones while driving I could put together a foot-thick anthology!

    I have been re-ended twice in just the last two years by women yapping blissfully away and forgetting to apply their brakes!I got whiplash in both cases not to mention the damage to my car (same one both times).

    Your observations are right on Jeff!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your remarks!